Monday, November 28, 2011

What's Up With Prancer in the Website Address??

Prancer was my first horse. I was tired of lessons and wanted something new, so my grandparents decided that if I was committed enough to search for the perfect one they would buy it for me. So I looked...and looked...and looked...and looked...and looked. Honestly, I don't remember how many horses I looked at and rode before I found Prancer. There was nothing special about him, we had seen better horses but there was something different about him. At the time, he was a 6 year old registered Thoroughbred. He has really good blood lines but he was not fast enough for the track so they stopped feeding him. He was useless in the racer's eyes. A family/lesson ranch bought him but didn't have the time or money to put weight on him, they needed a good lesson horse and he wasn't cutting it. So when we got there he was pretty skinny, you could see a lot of his bones but he looked like he was gaining weight. He was great brushing, tacking up and to ride. When I started trotting I felt as if he was prancing (hence the name "Prancer", not off of Santa's reindeer) when I dismounted I knew he was the horse for me. Now, he acted nothing like a fresh off the track Thoroughbred so I thought he would be a good horse to help build my confidence up. He was...until we started putting weight on him. After that he was hyper and spooky. Not exactly the ideal horse to build a timid rider's confidence up. Somehow Prancer and I grew together, building each other's confidence up. They say that a timid horse and a timid rider should never be paired up but this time it was good for us. Prancer pushed me and I pushed Prancer. Soon we weren't as afraid. I still own Prancer but I no longer ride him due to a breathing problem he has in the summer and I ride my Arabian now. Looking back though, I have no regrets about getting Prancer. There were times I had no idea what I was doing and he just stood there waiting for me to figure it out. He's something alright. I'll always have a special place in my heart for Prancer. Right now he is up for sale and I am not looking forward to the day I'll have to say goodbye. He was my first "pony", even though I don't give him enough time now he's still my first horse and nothing could replace that. So that's why its "horsechicwithprancer" (:

4 comments:

  1. Awwwww! This is so sweet girly!-smk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww!! It's sad he has a breathing problem :( but you treated him well sam! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks(: Yeah, I hate not being able to do anything with him in the summer but in the winter he's crazyyyy so I can make up lost time!(:

    ReplyDelete